Monday, July 21, 2008

mrs. potter's lullaby

So yesterday I had to help Shannon pck up her car and watch as she drove off to Nebraska for school. Gotta be honest, not my favorite day ever. Amazingly, today I discovered that I can still breathe. Not quite as well as I can when she is here by my side, or even in the same city"ish" area as myself. But, shallow and painful as it may be, my breaths are still coming. In and out, in and out. (no, not the burger place)

Perhaps this morning's inaugural run of the Lonely Man's Running Club (the tshirts are at the screeners, membership available at your local running shops) didn't help with the whole breathing thing...but maybe it did. At least it got me up and out of bed this morning. Which is always a good start to the day. Actually getting up. Not backing down from our fears and our difficulties and trying to hide beneath the blackness of sleep. Awakening to another beautiful day that our Creator has placed on our doorsteps. Carpe diem, if you will.

"And I won't back down
I won't turn around and around
And I won't back down
Doesn't matter what comes crashing down
I'm still gonna stand on solid ground"

I think, perhaps, that I do feel a little like a prize fighter that just won the fight of their lives only to get cold-cocked by their opponent while the referee is still lifting their arm in victory. But then again, a prize won without a struggle is barely a prize at all. And no, I don't consider Shan a prize to be won, but I think this analagy is more reffering to whatever God has in store for this relationship and the path that we wil get to travel on our way there. And at this point, every day feels like a prize given to me and I am so thankful for each one and for every one to come.

And...now I think it's really time to get some sleep. "For reals." :)


music: "Slow Dancing" -- U2 featuring Willie Nelson (so happy to have shuffle play on iTunes!)