Saturday, November 7, 2009

stars, Actual stars

So I spent a few days working up in Grand Junction this week. The place we were working was actually closer to Collbran...go ahead, look on a map, it's out in the middle of nowhere. The first day that we were there it ended up being a little after 6 by the time we were quitting. No, it's not that late, but when you are working outside, in the mountains, the week after daylight savings time starts...you tend to loose light rather early. So, needless to say, by the time we were leaving it was kinda dark out. And I looked up. There were stars. LOTS and LOTS of stars. It was pretty amazing. I would have loved to have just sat there for a while and just stared, but a shower and dinner sounded like a decent idea at the time too and that won over sitting out in the cold staring up at the sky.

But thinking back now just a few days later, it is amazing the difference that being in a city makes. I haven't seen that many stars in years. And to think that centuries ago that the stars were often what people had to get around by at night. Sometimes it is sad to think of all the beauty our modern life has killed, or at least obstructed, from our everyday lives. A lot of "city" people make fun of the small towns and wonder what there is to do when one lives in such a small place. Sometimes I wonder if those small town people don't have the right idea...

In other news...I get to go back up to the middle of nowhere on Monday. I like working up there, but I wouldn't mind if this job were done already. The drive up there and back gets a little cramped in the little work truck. Although there is some rather impressive scenery to look at while staring out the windows. Also, I picked up Juno and The Pursuit of Happieness today for real cheap. Watched them both. After watching them, well...lets just say it makes me think over some stuff.

Only 19 days till Thanksgiving!


music: "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain" -- Willie Nelson

No comments: